Guilty Pleasure: the Music Blog

Guilty Pleasure Music Blog

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hello, Goodbye

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I initially delayed posting in late March to write a paper for my Mongol history class. The day after I handed that in, I sat down at the computer to post... and then remembered that I had a paper due in my German history class. After that, I wrote a paper on John Lennon's "Imagine" and Ted Leo's "Heart Problems" for my History of Rock music history class... then came even more papers, a bunch of exams, and you get the drift.

I'm sorry. At one point in my life, it was very important to me to work really hard and get good grades. But not anymore. I'm way past that. Now, I just care on bringing the rock to you, my loyal readers. All two of you.

Well, not quite. It's not that I've stopped caring, but rather that this past weekend, I graduated from Georgetown University in Washington, DC. Yes, I'm a college graduate. Scary that an incredibly expensive education hasn't taught me correct English or grammar... but hey, whatever. Who doesn't enjoy a good comma splice every now and then?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Washington Social Club -- Monuments

Spirited and fun, Washington Social Club is one of DC's most well known best young bands. I had hoped to bring them to play a show at my school, but it never materialized. Nonetheless, this song provides a great introduction to the band... though it must be noted that they are a must see live act as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Czars -- Goodbye

I'm not a huge fan of The Czars, but this song has a great smokey introduction. It reminds me of sitting in this jazz joint called Blues Alley in Washington and listening to this older woman with the most heartbreaking voice that you'll ever hear belt out standards. The somber song just seems oddly fitting after leaving such a great city and saying goodbye to great friends.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Boston -- More Than A Feeling


Since I'm moving to Boston, I figured that it would be appropriate to post a song by the band of the same name. Well that and I just wanted to, because they are a supreme guilty pleasure of mine. Let's be honest with ourselves, we all pump our fists in the air during the chorus and sing along. It's impossible not to rock out, because "More Than A Feeling" is absolutely incredible. Or, as Mr. Exitfare himself said, "This shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S." If the city is half as good as this song, then I'll be in heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home